Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Marty Grams: The Art of Card Splitting


I found myself facing a dilemma when I decided to review this DVD. First of all, I am adamantly opposed to Magic Makers profiting from copying the intellectual property of creative magicians such as Lee Asher and Anders Moden. Their knockoff versions of Asher's Asher Twist and Moden's Healed and Sealed infuriated many in the magic community including myself. Still, if I am to provide honest reviews about the quality of magic products, I must first place aside any personal misgivings I have against the authors or manufacturers of a particular product. That being said.

Despite my reservations with the practices of Magic Makers Inc., I have nothing but good things to say about The Art of Card Splitting. First of all, the material taught on this DVD is not "lifted" from Marty (better known as Martini in the magic world). He signed on to the project and obviously put a lot of work into providing the viewer with his best tips and tricks for creating gaffed cards.

The material is based on Marty's book, Lickety Split, but contains information not covered in the book such as how to create acrobatic cards. Marty is not a newbie when it comes to creating gaffed cards. He is also not new to teaching other magicians how to do the same. His time spent lecturing shows. As a result, it seems nothing has been left out.

I should also mention that the title does not reflect the total content of the DVD. Marty does not just teach how to split cards; he goes through the entire process of creating the gaffs. Double Facers, double backers, split cards, acrobatic cards, and the Hofzinzer card gimmick are fully explained. However, the information can be used to create any number of other card gimmicks. There is no limit to what can be done. He even covers where to procure the needed items and mentions that the products should cost you around ten dollars. That is not a bad price for a new hobby that may keep you entertained (and frustrated) for years to come.

As far as the actual magic is concerned, the effects taught on the tape range from interesting to forgettable. Most of them are well known, classic effects, but I cannot imagine any of them fooling many magicians. Almost all of them have been improved upon tremendously since their creation, but it is nice to see how the original versions looked. At the very least they provide a start for those looking to find a use for the gaffed cards they worked so hard to create.

This DVD will be a great asset to beginning card splitters as well as those who have attempted splitting before but never really found success. Personally, I fell into the latter category. Other magicians had attempted to teach me their techniques for creating gaffed cards in the past. Unfortunately, I was never able to master the art; my final products always looked sloppy and the difficulties I encountered along the way made the whole process seem not worth it. Marty's tips gained from years of trial and error made all the difference in the world. Recommended.

-Available from www.MagicMakersInc.com