Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Mathieu Bich: Mathieu Bich on PDF

Mathieu Bich has made quite a name for himself recently with effects like Erazed and Counterweight. If you want a sample of his work, you may want to consider this e-book. The PDF document available for instant download at http://leeasher.com/bich.htm can be purchased for $9.95.

I must say that, to Mathieu's credit, his effects are creative and often times very original. These routines, however, do not suit my personal style. None of the six routine included in this e-book can be done impromptu; they all contain gimmicks or apparatus that are not usually available or that I don't feel are worth carrying around. I am not at all against using gimmicks or advanced preparation to astound an audience, but the effects in this e-book are, in my opinion, not strong enough to justify the extra work.

Here's a quick rundown of the six effects (their descriptions can be read at the site mentioned above):

Erazed- This is a cool if not contrived effect. It's a nice idea to have the spectator sign a card only to have it turn blank, but you'll have to acquire the needed supplies and develop a way to justify the method involved.

Suspension of Belief- This is another neat idea, but something most of us will never perform due to the preparation (albeit minor) involved. I will say that the application of finding a chosen card is a step above the original routine.

Little Papers- Although this effect is a fooler, I was immediately turned off when I read in the description that the spectator is asked "to wet his fingertips (saliva, etc.) and place each fingertip onto each slip of paper." The routine is just not something I would ever perform; again, it feels a little too contrived.

Instant Sandwich- For the work involved, I really don't think this sandwich effect will impress a lay audience any more than any of the many, many simple sandwich locations already in print. Look at the demo on the site listed above and decide for yourself.

Marie Antoinette- This effect may be fun to perform for yourself sometime, but it's not something I would perform for an audience. Keep in mind, however, that just because it doesn't fit my style, doesn't mean you can't make it work.

Little House- I would like to spend some time perhaps playing with the clever principle at work in this effect, but this routine is not for me. Again the effect comes off as very contrived.

Overall, I was disappointed in the e-book; I definitely feel there are better products for your money. However if you're interested in Mathieu's work, the download is only $10. Also keep in mind that even though I wouldn't recommend this e-book, I have seen many Mathieu Bich effects that I do like. I just don't think this product showcases his best work. Not recommended.

-Available from www.LeeAsher.com